Saturday 19 May 2012

Hot Air


A few weeks late again, but I’ve just caught up with the new look BBC Jazz Record Requests. The former presenter, the laconic and languid Geoffrey Smith, has been shuffled to a midnight slot. I’d like to listen to his new programme because I know I’ll enjoy it even more than JRR… but midnight? The last time I was up at midnight was because of a weak bladder. So until I can figure a way to record the programme, I’ll give it a miss.

Alyn Shipton is the new presenter of JRR and presumably he’s been brought in to bring about changes. I’ve always enjoyed change but only when it brings an improvement. As far as I can hear, nothing much has changed with the music. So where are the improvements?

In my opinion, Alyn Shipton does a fair enough job. Mr Smith had a certain special flair and panache, though. He could read the script and make it sound as if he was ad-libbing. And what I really liked about him is that he didn’t just understand jazz - he understood the jazz lover as well. At exactly the right time (i.e. after each track) he would tell us who performed on it and when it was recorded, absolutely essential information for all aficionados.

Now if I want to know, for example, the name of the bassist on Eric Dolphy’s ‘GW’I must go on line and look at the BBC Radio 3 JJR website. I resent that because often I don’t have access to the internet when I’m listening to the radio. The entire experience is therefore marred. I’m not alone in this. Others suffer a similar sense of discographical deprivation.

Personally I believe capital punishment should be the penalty for anyone using the phrase "I have an idea for improvements." Ideas for improvement are the root cause of every ill in the world. And whereas the new look JRR hardly ranks alongside civil war or the abolition of the 11+, the sceptic will be forgiven for feeling that nothing good will come of this 'improvement' to my favourite programme on radio. So unfurl the banner - bring back discographies shall be my mantra.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome