Tuesday 19 December 2017

mexican jumping bean

Charity shops are not too rich in jazz records, but occasionally a real pearl comes to hand - like this one, my favourite baritone sax player joining one of my favourite piano players.

Recorded in front of a sedate Mexican audience in 1968, "Compadres" I think has not been released so far in CD format, so I'm especially pleased to find this original album.

It features: Dave Brubeck (on piano); Gerry Mulligan (baritone sax); Alan Dawson (drums) and Jack Six (bass). Produced by Teo Macero on CBS label (S 63395 CS 9704) the liner notes are written by Leonard Feather. I can't track down actual recording dates.

Tracks are: Side 1 - Jumping Bean; Adios, Marquita Linda; Indian Song; Tender Woman
                  Side 2 - Amapola; Lullabye de Mexico; Sapito; Recuerdo.

Good value at twenty times what I paid for it - £1.25.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome