Friday 1 December 2017

The Black Saint and the Lady Sinner


“When Mr. Mingus first asked me to write a review of the music he composed for this record, I was astonished and told him so. I said I thought I was competent enough as a psychologist but that my interest in music was only average and without any technical background. Mr Mingus laughed and said he didn’t care, that if I heard his music I’d understand…

… Mr Mingus thinks this is his best record. It may very well be his best to date for his present stage of development as other records were in the past. It must be emphasized that Mr Mingus is not yet complete. He is still in a process of change and personal development. Hopefully the integration in society will keep pace with his. One must continue to expect more surprises from him.”
                               Edmund Pollock, Ph.D., Clinical Psychologist.

“I wrote the music for dancing and listening. It is true music with much and many of my meanings. It is my living epitaph from birth til the day I first heard of Bird and Diz.”
                                                                Charles Mingus.

Words within quotation-marks are taken out of context with each other from liner notes for Mingus’s 1963 album “The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.”

I wonder why nobody has taken this music and choreographed a modern ballet to the score.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome